The 20th edition of the international festival IMPRO Amsterdam was one to remember. Improvisor Inbal Lori from Israel selected her five personal highlights (ok, actually it’s seven but that only proves how hard it was for her to choose).
1. I have had two improvisers in my workshop who came from a country which is in war with Israel. In fact: as we were talking, drinking and laughing in the bar our countries changed artillery fire. The idea that I have to fly to another continent so I can meet my neighbors who live 100 kilometers away from me is so sad. And yet I was grateful that I met them and had such a good time with them.
2. Closing a circle. I met Tim Orr in Amsterdam for the first time when Rod Ben Ze’ev really pushed me to come and take his long form workshop. Five years later Tim and I have the world premier of “CLICK” and Rod Ben Ze’ev is the host of our show- how cool is that?
3. In our show “CLICK” there was a scene in which Tim Orr and I played monkies. While in the scene I turned to the photographer and told him “don’t film this!”, I really didn’t want to see my picture the next evening flashing on the theater’s slide show looking like a hideous chimpanzee. Tim was clever enough to use my sentence and turn it to a great scene about two unemployed actors doing a chimpanzee gig. But sure enough, the next evening there was a picture of me looking like a hideous chimpanzee flashing in the theater’s slide show…
4. Wouter, our great musician, directed me to a place next to a market where I found sugar free, milk free, dough free brownies… It may not sound like a big deal for you, but it was for me.
5. Three small onces: Having my Israeli friends there with me! Biking with Kiki back home every night. Wandering around in super markets with Tim Orr.
I am Inbal Lori from Tel Aviv Israel. I am an improviser since 2002. My group in Israel is called “3falling”. I have an impro school called IMPRO TLV and I teach and perform in Israel and the rest of the world!